On June 10, construction work begins on the Powell Street Overpass project. Powell Street will be closed between Clark Drive and the Cordova Diversion from the start of construction until June 2014.
The City will contribute $3.75 million to the project, and will be responsible for delivering the project on behalf of funding partners, which include Port Metro Vancouver, Transport Canada, CP, and TransLink.
The two main goals of the project are to
• Expand capacity and enhance the rail network that supports the movement of goods through Port Metro Vancouver
• Improve access and safety for pedestrians, cyclists, and commuters in the Powell Street corridor
Key dates are as follows:
• May 24 – June 8 – crews will be working at the Clark and Hastings intersection
• June 10 – Powell Street buses will be rerouted to East Hastings
• June 24 – full road closure on Powell from Clark Drive to the Cordova Diversion
• June 2014 – Powell Street reopens.
Please note: shops in the construction zone are open for business as usual! You’ll just need to use a slight detour to reach them.
For more details about the project and traffic re-routing, visit