Safe & Welcoming
Funding pool for members.
Strathcona BIA Member Programs
We want everyone to feel welcome in Strathcona. And we want everyone to feel safe here. We’re launching a Safe & Welcoming Grant to help businesses and property owners make safety and beautification investments that create a more safe and welcoming community for all.
The goals of this program are to help SBIA members make permanent or semi-permanent investments to their businesses and properties, help reduce the financial burden of these improvements, attract customers and visitors to the area, and invest in placemaking.
A funding pool of $15,000 has been allocated to help implement these improvements. Grants are open to all eligible SBIA members. Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received, and will be approved on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications will be accepted up to February 28, 2022 or until the funding pool has been fully allocated.
Each member is eligible for a matching reimbursement grant of up to 50% for all SBIA approved project/supply costs to a maximum of $1,000. Members can apply for projects in more than one grant area, and up to a maximum of $1000 per member will be provided across both grant areas. All grants will be paid after the work or supplies have been completed or purchased. Recipients will not need to repay the funds at any time. Approved grantees must provide the SBIA with an invoice for work completed no later than March 31, 2022.
Safe & Welcoming Grant Areas
Grants are open to all SBIA members and are designed across the following two areas:
Safety & Security
To help you improve the safety and security of your business and property. Upgrades must make your business or property safer for business purposes, employees, customers, or the community overall. Grant recipients will receive 50% of the cost of the project up to $1,000 for:
- Lighting upgrades, cameras, fencing, gates, etc.
- Employee training, crisis prevention training, signage, etc.
Beautification & Placemaking
To help you beautify your business or property exterior, create a more welcoming and safe area, and attract customer and employees. Upgrades must make your business or property more welcoming and accessible for customers, employees or members of the community. Grant recipients will receive 50% of the cost of the project up to $1,000 for:
Exterior building improvements
- Façade, lighting, signage, awning, etc.
Public and private property infrastructure
- Sidewalk cafe, patios, benches, small gardens, etc.
- The applicant must be a business or property owner within the Strathcona Business Improvement Area who is in good standing*
- The applicant must be the business owner, property owner, or designated representative
- For business applicants, a valid business license must be held
- All funding requests must be used to support and strengthen business activities
- In cases of building improvements/property improvements, the property owner must be notified and agree to the to proposed improvements
- Applications must be received and approved by the SBIA in advance of any work in order to receive a grant. Grants cannot be applied retroactively to work already completed.
*Property owners or tenants of a class 5 or 6 commercial property within the SBIA catchment area. Tenants must hold a valid City of Vancouver business license.
- Operating or regular maintenance costs to your property or business
- Staffing costs
- Time you incur to implement your grant project
- Improvements and upgrades made prior to the date of application approval
- The SBIA may determine other costs to be ineligible.
Applications will accepted until February 28, 2022 or until the funding pool has been fully allocated.
How to Apply for the Safe & Welcoming Grant:
- Confirm that you meet the Eligibility Requirements listed above.
- Fill-out the SBIA Safe & Welcoming Grant application form below.
- Within the application provide a formal quote for any safety or placemaking project work from vendors. If you can’t get a formal quote or intend to do the work yourself you must provide a detailed cost breakdown and estimates. Approved grant amounts will be based on the project quotes or estimates you provide.
- Within the application provide a written statement in 200 words or less on why you need a grant, what you intend to do with it, and the impact it will have on your business or property.
Next Steps After You Apply for a Grant:
After applying for a grant,
- A SBIA team member will review your application.
- Within 14-21 days you will receive a decision from the SBIA about your grant application
- If applicable, a SBIA team member will schedule a Zoom meeting or phone call to review and discuss your application.
- Successful applicants will be required to sign a contract between the applicant and SBIA that includes: terms of the grant, grant amount, and project details before beginning work on their project.
- Approved grantees must provide the SBIA with the agreed-upon documentation including all receipts, records of expenses, and before/after pictures, if applicable.
- Approved grantees must provide the SBIA with an invoice for work completed no later than March 31, 2022.
- The SBIA may ask for a testimonial related to the grant application and to confirm that the grant funding was used in accordance with the agreed-upon criteria.
A Note On Murals
Are you interested in a large-scale mural on your property? In addition to the Safe and Welcoming Grant, the Strathcona BIA allocates additional funding each year to bring new murals to our community in partnership with interested property owners. Please reach out to email@example.com to learn more.
Keep In Touch
Sign up for our e-newsletter for member updates.