Funding pool for members.
Strathcona BIA Member Programs
We’ve launched a COVID-19 Recovery Grant pilot program to support businesses and property owners that have been affected by the pandemic.
We want to help your business navigate COVID-19 through the fall of 2020. This program is intended to help our members manage unexpected expenses, reduce the financial burden of COVID-19, attract customers and guests to the area, invest in placemaking improvements, and to help businesses invest in their own staff.
A funding pool of $35,000 has been allocated to help businesses and property owners keep their doors open through this period of uncertainty. Grants are open to all eligible SBIA members. Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received, and will be approved on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications will be accepted up to February 28, 2021 or until the funding pool has been fully allocated.
Each member is eligible for a matching reimbursement grant of up to 50% for all SBIA approved project/supply costs to a maximum of $1,000. Members can apply for multiple grants up to a maximum of $1,000 per member across all grant areas. All grants will be paid after the work or supplies have been completed or purchased. Recipients will not need to repay the funds at any time. Approved grantees must provide the SBIA with an invoice for work completed no later than March 31, 2021.
Covid Recovery Grant Pilot
To help you navigate the challenges of COVID-19 and to promote a safe, clean area for community members and customers we’re offering grants in the following areas:
To help you safely operate your business for both customers and employees. Grant recipients will receive 50% of the cost of the project, or supplies up to $1,000 for:
Personal protection supplies
- Hand sanitizer, gloves, face masks, face shields, gowns, etc.
Social distancing infrastructure
- Plastic barriers, line queuing, floor and wall decals, etc.
To attract customers, improve private property amenities and exterior property improvements. Grant recipients will receive 50% of the cost of the project or supplies up to $1,000 for:
Exterior building improvements
- Façade, lighting, signage, murals, etc.
Public and private property infrastructure
- Sidewalk cafe, patios, benches, small gardens, etc.
Safety & Sanitation
To improve the security and outside sanitation of your business or property. Grant recipients will receive 50% of the cost of the project or supplies up to $1,000 for:
- Cameras, or fencing
Sanitation and cleanliness
- Power washing, smell disinfectant, scrub treatments, etc.
Diversity & Inclusion
To assist businesses in developing, training, implementing, and promoting inclusive practices within their business or organization. Grant recipients will receive 50% of the cost of the project or supplies up to $1,000 for:
- Workshops and sessions with business/organization employees and management
- Developing and implementing inclusive practices and policies
- The applicant must operate or own a business/property in good standing located with the SBIA catchment area
- The applicant must be the business owner, property owner, or designated representative
- For business applicants, a valid business license must be held
- All funding requests must be used to support and strengthen business activities
- In cases of building improvements/property improvements, the property owner must be notified and agree to the to proposed improvements
- Applications must be received and approved by the SBIA in advance of any work in order to receive a grant. Grants cannot be applied retroactively to work already completed.
- Operating or regular maintenance costs
- Staffing costs and/or time that is incurred to implement the project
- Improvements and upgrades made prior to the date of application approval
- Marketing and promotions (online promotions, ads, billboards, bus stops etc.)
The grant will remain open until Dec.31st, 2020 or until the funding pool of $35,000 has been allocated to members.
How to Apply for the COVID Recovery Grant:
- Confirm that you meet the Eligibility Requirements listed above.
- Fill-out the SBIA COVID-19 Reopening and Recovery Grant application form below.
- Within the application: provide a quote for any placemaking, safety & sanitation, and diversity and inclusion grant applications including cost estimates of proposed work. Recovery grant applications don’t require quotes prior to approval.
- Within the application: Provide a written statement in 200 words or less on what you intend to do, why this grant will help, and the impact it will have on your business/property. In this statement please demonstrate the need and what you will be using the funds for.
Next Steps After You Apply for a Grant:
After applying for a grant,
- A SBIA team member will review your application.
- Within 7-14 days you will receive a decision from the SBIA about your grant application
- If applicable, a SBIA team member will schedule a Zoom meeting or phone call to review and discuss your application.
- Successful applicants will be required to sign a contract between the applicant and SBIA that includes: terms of the grant, grant amount, and project details before beginning work on their project.
- Approved grantees must provide the SBIA with the agreed-upon documentation including all receipts, records of expenses, and before/after pictures, if applicable.
- Approved grantees must provide the SBIA with an invoice for work completed no later than March 31, 2021.
- The SBIA may ask for a testimonial related to the grant application and to confirm that the grant funding was used in accordance with the agreed-upon criteria.
Keep In Touch
Sign up for our e-newsletter for member updates.